Notice: Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting all consultations either via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Frost & Beck, P.C. is a Colorado law firm devoted solely to victims of nursing home abuse and neglect and their families.

Denver Nursing Home Dehydration Lawyer

Legal Representation for Those Affected by Elderly Abuse in Denver & Centennial, CO

Dehydration may sound benign compared to other forms of nursing home neglect and abuse, but the conditions that can result from not getting enough fluids are quite serious. Dehydration can cause discomfort and pain and even disrupt the body’s ability to function.

At Frost & Beck, P.C. in Colorado, we stand up to the people and institutions who let such egregious oversights occur. Nursing home abuse and neglect can come in many forms.

It can be intentional or accidental, but the result is often the same—injury or trauma, if not both, and, in the most tragic cases, death. If your loved one becomes severely dehydrated as a result of mistreatment at the hands of their caregivers, we want to help.

Call Frost & Beck, P.C. today at (720) 408-4402 or contact us online to schedule your initial consultation with our Denver nursing home abuse lawyers.

What are the Signs of Nursing Home Dehydration?

Dehydration among nursing home residents is one of the most common types of elder abuse and neglect among those living in nursing facilities. Because it is so tragically common, you must take steps to remedy the situation if you suspect your loved one has become dehydrated.

Dehydration can affect an individual’s physical or mental health, but the signs may not always be visible. Nonetheless, there are certain signals you can look out for.

Dehydration in the elderly can be identified through several different symptoms. Your loved one may be dehydrated if they:

  • Appear confused, fatigued, depressed, or in an otherwise lethargic mood
  • Become delirious
  • Complain of thirst
  • Feel dizzy or faint
  • Have an increased body temperature
  • Have an increased heart rate
  • Have decreased blood pressure
  • Have decreased urine output
  • Have dry skin, mouth, or hair
  • Have sunken eyes
  • Have swelling of the tongue
  • Show a loss of appetite
  • Suddenly fall into unconsciousness
  • Suffer from headaches
  • Suffer from seizures
  • Their skin shrivels and wrinkles

Once you have established that your relative may be suffering from dehydration, it is important to act quickly so they may be nursed back to health.

Actions to Take if You Suspect Abuse in CO

cup of water on a nightstandFirst, talk to your loved one.

If they complain about neglect or mistreatment, take their word for it—even if they are suffering from a condition like Alzheimer’s.

Ideally, try and speak to them alone and in a comfortable environment because residents are often too frightened or ashamed to admit they have been abused. If the nursing home staff refuses to let you spend time alone with your family member, that could be a warning sign that something is amiss.

Next, talk to the staff.

Your loved one’s dehydration may simply be the result of oversight or a mistake.

Though accidental mistreatment is no less serious, you may not wish to file a lawsuit over a misunderstanding. In situations such as this, use your best judgment and continue to monitor your loved one’s health closely to ensure they start receiving proper hydration.

Recovery from Dehydration in the Elderly

While dehydration in the elderly can be particularly dangerous, it can also be treated if caught early on. Facilitating your loved one's recovery may require hospitalization for a time, as well as a change in how they are treated at the nursing home.

How Our Nursing Home Abuse Firm Can Help

If the problem persists or becomes serious enough to cause harm, you can file a complaint with your local police. Next, contact a Colorado nursing home dehydration attorney.

A lawyer will walk you through the process of filing a lawsuit and stand up for your loved one should your case require negotiation or litigation. By standing up to the individuals or facility who caused your loved one harm, you may be able to receive compensation to cover their injuries and transfer them to another nursing home, as well as stop the offenders from causing harm to anyone else.

To learn more about the actions you can take against those who harmed your loved one in elder care, call Frost & Beck, P.C. today at (720) 408-4402 or contact us online.